29 March 1964 (Sunday)
(Prepared by Karl Armstrong)

Navy officials have advised that the television station on the Kodiak Naval Base is again operating and all persons in the area are urged to keep their sets tuned in for information which will be released from time to time.

Ole Johnson advises that power was restored in 60% of the system. Most residential areas were receiving power but the downtown disaster area continued to prevent power restoration to all areas. One of the cooling pumps went out again after 36 hours of operation but it is expected that 70% of the system will be with power by Sunday night.

Doris Simon continues to take names of those who wish to be evacuated at her office located in the high school. Representatives of various agencies are coordinating the evacuation efforts.

Pat Cannon and Oscar Dyson have organized the fishing fleet and fishermen to effect plans for mooring boats safely. Pat reports that unmanned boats may be anchored inside the Naval Station by contacting him or Oscar, Dyson reported that they have organised salvage efforts to pick up piling and docking materials floating within the immediate area waters. NO SALVAGING BY PRIVATE PERSONS IS BEING PERMITTED. BOATS WILLING TO ASSIST IN SALVAGE WORK WILL BE PROVIDED WITH FUEL.

Special Assistant of President Lyndon Johnson, Ed McDermott, arrived in Kodiak accompained by U.S. Senator Ernest Gruening and Office of Emergency Planning Coordinator Creath Tooley. The group included high ranking military officials including General Reeves of Elmendorf AFB who praised "the magnificent efforts of the people of Kodiak in this extremely trying and disasterous calamity." Senator Gruening advised that officials of various governmental agencies would come to Kodiak to assist the community rebuild. At this writing Governor Egan was due to arrive in Kodiak late this afternoon for meetings with local civilian and military officials.

Civil Defense Director Frank Irick has been placed in full and complete charge of all matters relating to food, fuel and clothing. He reported that over 700 persons were fed last night at the high school where Legs Legrue was placed in charge of refugee feeding in the cafeteria. Irick advised that nearly 625 persons were being housed in the school, but said he expected the number to be reduced greatly as more housing was made usable through the availability of power and heat.

Clothing for persons whose belongings were lost is being sought. Those wishing to assist with donations of clothes for all sizes and ages may leave them with the National Guard Armory.

City Market is now open using personnel from both City Market and Kraft's Supermarket. Walter Kraft advised that he hopes to have his supermarket operation open for business soon.

Both military and civilian medical officials advise residents to continue to boil water before drinking or to purify by adding four drops of chlorine per gallon and allowing to stand for half an hour. Herman Beukers said chlorinators are working depending upon power.

Heating fuel oil can be obtained by leaving name and name of company perferred at City Hall.

Kodiak Borough Chairman Chuck Powell said he had been to both Afognak and Ouzinkie to assist them with their problems. He said they suffered very little damage in Ouzinkie with the loss of only the cannery and four family houses. No loss of life known but fears were expressed for the boat Spruce Cape, skippered by Tim Panamarioff with two unidentified crewmen. The boat is listed as missing. Afognak suffered heavy property damage with 70% of all homes destroyed. He said the school was intact, however,and they have a fresh water supply. Del Valley and Wakefield Fisheries personnel were cooperating to assist Afognak. The Opheims were reported safe but Air Force boys trapping on Afognak Island are still listed as missing„

Cmdr. Bill Simons of the Naval Base advises that they are now caring for over 300 village refugees and can take care of more if necessary.

CURFEW REMAINS IN EFFECT BETWEEN SUNDOWN AND SUNUP IN THE DOWNTOWN DISASTER AREA. From 7:00 p.m. until daylight NO ONE will be permitted on foot through the disaster area. Passes are available for persons with legitimate business in the disaster area during daylight hours. After curfew special passes will be issued at the National Bank of Alaska corner for VEHICLES GOING THROUGH. TO THE BASE ROAD ONLY. The disaster area will be placed under armed guard and any persons found in the area without proper passes will be apprehended by armed guards.

Bix Bonney returned on today's flight and advises they have plugged the ammonia leak at the cold storage plant. Work has begun to put the plant back into operation quickly.

Engineer Jim Barr advises that work is progressing in an attempt to get the dock in sufficient shape to handle freight off the Alaska, Steamer arriving Friday night or Saturday. Lou Veerman said they preferred to off-load at the City Dock if possible but would use the Navy Dock if necessary. The Navy has agreed to allow the use of its dock if it is not found possible to use the City Dock.

First Lt. Tuza of the National Guard said he has received field telephones and enough wire to establish six miles of communications between vital points. Gordon Nelson said he has located a used board in Kenai and efforts may be made to bring it to Kodiak on National Guard or Navy aircraft. This would be used to establish long distance phones.

Officials have held numerous meetings on matters relating to the cleanup of the disaster area and continue to prepare for the arrival of Seebees and heavy equipment to deal with the problem. Mayor Pete Deveau advises that underwriters were coming to work on the disposal of the high and dry boats and barges. State Trooper Don Church said great care would be exercised in seeing to it that all bodies that might be underneath the debris would be removed before any burning would be attempted. Controlled area burning will probably be used to dispose of much of the debris.

Wilton White advised that his two garages are waiting upon power for opening. Jerry's and Holman's are now operating. Clarks is still standing but isolated by broken buildings.

Trooper Don Church said only three people remain now in Old Harbor and these are the Missionaries and Storekeeper. All others have been evacuated to the Naval Base. Two hundred forty-one were evacuated. One body was brought in and two persons were seen to go under at the village and are presumed dead.

Frank Irick said he expected the number of refugees living in the high school building to be reduced enough by next Monday, April 6, that the school would reopen as usual. Refugees remaining would be moved into the Armory.

Smokey Stover advises that roads beyond the Naval Base are closed with all the bridges gone and the roadway washed away in places. He said other roads have been reopened, however. Cmdr. Simon said the Navy would be working shortly on reopening the road at least as far as Holiday Beach vicinity. Six bridges are out between Chiniak and the base. One hundred Seebees arrived Saturday and are busy on the base.

Cmdr. Simon said the base remains without its generating plant with power now being supplied with numerous temporary portable generators. It may be five or more days before the power plant is back into operation.

Sgt. Buzz Sawyer of the ACS is keeping that installation open 24 hours a day to enable the filing and receiving of telegrams and messages,

Mr MacNamara of S.S. Mullen Co. has been placed in charge as foreman of heavy debris removal under the coordination of Fred Brechan. A committee of heavy construction people will work together on this problem.

Gas for cars is now available at Holman's and Jerry's Garages and will be available at Patterson's and Kodiak Motors as soon as power is made available to those areas,

Warning of another tidal wave will be signified by a steady 5-minute sounding of the Civil Defense sirens or of the Police sirens.

Representative Earl Hillstrand has "complete confidence" in the future of Kodiak. The legislator, who arrived Sunday evening, tells us he will commence construction of his $750,000.00 hotel here on the small boat breakwater as soon as materials and equipment arrive.

APA's cannery superintendent, Pete Marinkovich, advises his firm has commenced a survey of their losses in Alaska. He said their Larson Bay salmon cannery is intact and operations are planned there.

Home - Previous - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - Next