13 April 1964 (Monday)
(Prepared by Karl Armstrong)

Miss Mary Frank, former assistant Attorney General and presently serving in Anchorage as assistant District Attorney, has been appointed as District Magistrate for Kodiak, according to Chief Magistrate of the third Judicial Division, James Hanson, who arrived here yesterday and will be here several days. Miss Franke's appointment is effective May 1 and she is expected to arrive here from Anchorage May 4th or 5th.

A National Guard plane loaded with tents and gear for the establishment of an advance party of villagers planning reconstruction of Old Harbor at it's same location arrived this weekend, according to Borough Chairman Chuck Powell who said tentative planning calls for dredging material onto the village site to raise it's, level. Powell said the school was usable at the site and the water for the school and several other wells was not adversely affected as were many wells located in the lower level of the village. Powell also said that group of representatives of Lions International arrived and were to meet with Afognak villagers to discuss the rebuilding of their village. Reverend Don Bullock advised that the U.S.S. Kodiak was taking the supplies to Old Harbor.

Several businesses have announced they are again open for business. John S. Butler advises his accounting and tax consultant business is again operating at the same location in his house along Benson Avenue. And Martin's Harborview Plumbing is operating out of Longmire's Garage. The Kodiak Mirror continues to operate for the time being out of Sears Roebuck office.

Fishermen are reminded that C. EĢ Peterson and Jim Murdock, loan specialists of the Bureau of Commercial Fisheries are available from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the Fish and Wildlife Service Building located near the Kodiak Health Center. They wished fishermen advised that loans can be granted for fishing gear as well as boats.

Two representatives of the Small Business Administration are available fore processing disaster loan applications in the state courtroom above the Post Office. Their hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily.

Two halibut fishermen were flown into Kodiak yesterday morning from the Bering Sea where they were injured aboard a Canadian vessel.

Col. Max Kurtz, representative of the Anchorage office of the Salvation Army, arrived in Kodiak Sunday to assist in efforts on behalf of the needy, according to Emil Knudsen. They will be operating out of the Civil Defense Headquarters in the trailer by the Church of God.

Clothing may be obtained by needy persons at St. James the Fisherman Church between 10:00 a.m. and 12 noon and from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., according to Rev. Don Bullock.

Residents of the Mission Lagoon and Potato Patch Lagoon areas are voicing concern over continued erosion of land in those areas. Al Levine has had fill material placed around the base of this home which is virtually lapped by sea waves now at high tide. Louis Horn is building a wooded sea wall in an attempt to keep wave action from further eroding his front yard. When the tide is out the lagoon areas turn into vast evil smelling mudflats filled with debris. It is feared by area residents that high tides particularly if accompanied by storm winds would cause further property damage. Area residents have also been concerned about fresh water wells going dry. Red Cross is sparking efforts to assist in getting the area provided with fresh water.

The following letter was received by City Manager Ralph S. Jones from a member of MacNamara's band:

Dear Sir:
When I got to the building, I found that the tidal wave had knocked some bricks off the top, so I rigged up a beam with a pulley at the top of the building and hoisted up a couple of barrels of bricks. When I had fixed the building, there was a lot of bricks left over. I hoisted the barrel back up again and secured the line at the bottom and then went up and filled the barrel with extra bricks. Then I went to the bottom and cast off the line. Unfortunately, the barrel of bricks was heavier than I was; and before I knew what was happening, the barrel started down, jerking me off the ground. I decided to hand on; and halfway up, I met the barrel coming down and received a severe blow on the shoulder. I then continued to the top, banging my head against the beam and getting my fingers jammed in the pulley. When the barrel hit the ground, it burst its bottom, allowing the bricks to spill out. I was now heavier than the barrel, and so started down again at high speed. Halfway down, I met the barrel coming up and received severe injuries to my shins. When I hit the ground, I landed on the bricks, getting several painful cuts from the sharp edges. At this point, I must have lost my presence of mind, because I let go the line. The barrel then come down, giving me another heavy blow on the head and putting me in the hospital. I respectfully request sick leave.

Yours very truly,

Clerk of the Superior Court A. M. (Annamae) Vokacek today announced that the Anchorage session of the Superior Court for the State of Alaska, third Judicial District, will be adjourned on Friday, April 17, 1964, to reconvene at Kodiak at the hour of 1:30 P.M. on Monday, April 20, 1964, in the courtroom of the Kodiak Post Office Building.

Home - Previous - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - Next